Tuesday, 8 January 2013

The 16th Annual Online Film Critics Awards

Folks, the Online Film Critics Society has given out its annual awards, and the organisation's members have given a special prize, one of three, to the For The Love Of Film Blogathon, comprising Marilyn Ferdinand, Farran Smith Nehme, and myself, in conjunction with Fandor and the National Film Preservation Foundation (with special regard for Annette Melville), for work in promoting film preservation, specifically in aiding in the restoration and presentation of The White Shadow.

The other two special prizes went to Ennio Morricone for a lifetime of great film composition, and to Jafar Panahi and Mojtaba Mirtahmasb for their work in making and successfully bringing to an international audience This Is Not a Film in defiance of Iran’s government authorities.

As for the awards proper, the spread went thus:

Best Picture: Argo
Best Director: Paul Thomas Anderson, The Master
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Best Actress: Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Best Supporting Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway, Les Misérables
Best Original Screenplay: Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola, Moonrise Kingdom
Best Adapted Screenplay: Chris Terrio, Argo
Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins, Skyfall
Best Editing: Alexander Berner, Cloud Atlas
Best Animated Feature: ParaNorman
Best Film Not in the English Language: Holy Motors
Best Documentary: This Is Not a Film

6 comments:

Patrick said...

You must have been thrilled with the Argo vote. I actually thought it was better than you did, but not a great movie, probably a bit overhyped.

Roderick Heath said...

Hi Patrick. Well, most people thought Argo was better than I did, to be fair, but I suspect this victory was due to a splitting of the vote. The Best Picture nominee list finished up looking a little peculiar; I myself voted for Holy Motors as the best of the ones I had seen. Zero Dark Thirty was nominated but much of the membership couldn't have seen that as it was only seen by those who could make special screenings; The Master has had such poor distribution that most of us overseas members haven't seen it, I suspect, too. Argo, which we got as a screener for, is one everybody saw.

Robert said...

That's criminal. I'm referring to the lack of availability of certain movies AND the rise of Argo, a movie that had me wondering if it was intended as a borderline spoof.

Roderick Heath said...

Lack of availability of movies frustrates me much more than who or what eventually wins the awards. At least if we're getting the movies we can debate them and, more importantly, review them and make people more aware of them. Awards are only ever a conglomeration of taste, and as much as I was proud of us last year for ennobling The Tree of Life, I guess an Argo victory is the price I pay this year, and a snapshot of what 2012 was for many of us.

Sam Juliano said...

I also like ARGO more than you do Rod, but I think it's win here is rather an embarrassment for this group. I was expecting something far more audacious too. Your explanation of the vote splitting is sound though. I am thinking that the MURIELS (which I vote on myself) will be going for AMOUR or THE MASTER this year, though my top vote goes to THE TURIN HORSE. But the ONLINE CRITICS chose well in most of the categories as far as I'm concerned.

Sam Juliano said...

In any case, far more importantly it that special prize to you, Marilyn and Farran! It is so well-deserved!!!!

And after re-thinking my previous comment, I am not so sure that choosing ARGO is an "embarrassment" at all--heck it barely missed my own Top 10 list--but I just figured the group to go more art house. But fair enough.